Topic 2022: „Exchange – Share – Trade: A discussion of a substantive exchange between local providers and residents“ and is aimed at innovative and design-creating groups and individuals. - supported by the MehrWERT sponsoring programme of Erste Bank and in cooperation with Caritas Wien.
Project budget: 4,000 euros per selected project
The „Stadtarbeit“ format has been an essential part of the programme of the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK for many years and it is being held this year for the eighth time with the support of the MehrWERT sponsorship programme of Erste Bank and in cooperation with Caritas Wien.
The open call is for the field of social design and the topic „Exchange – Share – Trade: A discussion of a substantive exchange between local providers and residents“ and is aimed at innovative and design-creating groups and individuals. In 2022, this festival format has set itself the goal of supporting projects which deal with societal issues of social coexistance in the focus district of Mariahilf and show options for action on how existing structures and potentials of local providers can be used for interconnecting residents and businesses of a district in order to create added value for the immediate environment and to visualise the resulting synergies. Design solutions will be developed, which together with local retail and market spaces, craft and repair shops, as well as social and cultural institutions can strengthen the local interaction and the people involved.
Three chosen projects will be awarded the Erste Bank MehrWERT design prize and will be supported in the conception and realisation. During the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK 2022, the winning projects will be presented to a professional audience interested in design as well as to local communities.
WE ARE INVITING
designers / architects / artists / city planners / community strategists / creative professionals / developers / critical thinkers / sociologists / urban enthusiasts
ideas, concepts and projects that deal with social design and the theme
“Exchange – Share – Trade: A discussion of a substantive exchange between local providers and residents”
Application deadline: 01 May 2022
VIENNA DESIGN WEEK announces the following theme for the Stadtarbeit format:
Exchange – Share – Trade
A discussion of a substantive exchange between local providers and residents
In Vienna, there is a long tradition of small-scale commercial structures and a resulting variety of the uses of market and retail spaces. Ground floor businesses have been providing residents with goods and services, with encounters and exchanges, with education and culture. However, even before the pandemic-related uncertainties and increasingly difficult circumstances, stationary retail spaces broke away in many districts and were pushed back by international chains, storage spaces or vacancies. Small businesses, the majority of which are lacking the financial strength required for today's competitive conditions, have often come to merely serve as suppliers to large companies, which forces them into dependency relationships. This carries the inherent risk of large companies exercising their market power by unilaterally enforcing their interests. However, in contrast to the booming online trade and international enterprises, the model of locally operating, stationary providers often goes along with a lower environmental footprint and facilitates direct exchange within the local community. In addition, small businesses being mostly managed independently or in associations create meaningful work and thus directly tangible self-efficacy for tradespeople, employees and volunteers.
A city of short distances, where retail and market spaces, craft and repair shops, as well as social and cultural institutions are within walking distance, increases the quality of the residents' lives and promotes dialogue among one another. Social design can highlight options for action on how existing structures and potentials of local providers can be used for interconnecting residents and businesses of a district in order to create added value for the immediate environment and to visualise the resulting synergies.
The „Stadtarbeit" projects for submission should deal with the following aspects, among others.
- How can new design solutions stimulate a substantial and sustainable exchange between local providers and residents?
- How can fair and meaningful compromises lead to commercial, cultural and social interests being united?
- How can the loss of knowledge and expertise associated with the dwindling of long-established small businesses be counteracted?
- What advantages and possibilities of exchange can companies that are active locally provide compared to international chains?
- What opportunities can local businesses and initiatives offer to promote the self-empowerment of minorities?
- How can digital and/or analogue systems strengthen local interaction and the people involved?
WHO CAN I PARTICIPATE?
Stadtarbeit enables innovative and design-creating groups and individuals to explore ideas and develop project concepts as part of VIENNA DESIGN WEEK 2022, thus reaching both a design-interested professional audience and local communities. Anyone interested in pursuing new approaches or developing existing projects for VIENNA DESIGN WEEK is welcome to apply.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Three winning projects will be selected by the jury and awarded the Erste Bank ExtraVALUE Design Award 2022. A production budget of €4,000 (incl. VAT) for the implementation of these winning projects during the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK is provided.
- Support from VIENNA DESIGN WEEK with the organization and implementation of the project.
- Accommodation during the festival in partner hotels of VIENNA DESIGN WEEK (subject to availability, team size and length of stay).
- The winning projects are part of the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK programme and will be presented to the audience.
In recent years, the Stadtarbeit format has steadily been developing. The projects realised have received a lot of positive feedback and have a lasting effect. The most important thing is commitment in order to carry out the project successfully during the festival (ten days). Winners are required to:
- Be present during the opening hours of the festival and observe them
- Allow time for setting up and dismantling
- Adhere to the opening ceremony and closing event schedules.
All participants should be aware of the time commitment before submitting project proposals. Conditions apply to both national and international applicants.
The goal of the Stadtarbeit format is to support projects that deal with societal issues of social interaction. This can encompass the analysis of urban and social spaces, the improvement of the coexistence of different population groups or the living conditions of minorities in the city. The projects take place in public space and should be accessible and understandable to audiences.
We would like to point out our long-standing cooperation with Caritas and call upon applicants to work together with this truly experienced and well-connected institution in the field of social work during the festival. Collaboration projects with Caritas are particularly welcome.
- Ruth Goubran and Theres Fischill, Erste Bank
- Clemens Foschi, Caritas
- Ronja Ullrich, IDRV – Institute of Design Research Vienna
- Gabriel Roland und Viktoria Hauser, VIENNA DESIGN WEEK
DEADLINES AND DATES
- Application deadline: 01 May 2022
- Jury meeting: 10 May 2022
- Kick-off event: early June 2022
- Editorial deadline for the festival guide: mid-June 2022
- VIENNA DESIGN WEEK 2020: 16 September to 25 September 2022
HOW TO APPLY?
- Fill out the contact form
- Write a project proposal
- Send everything to: firstname.lastname@example.org