Thinking about public space and its design, as well as a responsible use, is fundamental to the functioning of a society in a limited urban environment. In this context design offers a wide and highly effective range of analytical and transformative methods.
Even before the Covid-19 outbreak the Stadtarbeit-Open Call called for ideas, concepts and projects that deal with social design and the theme "Vacant lots / fallow land / empty sites: new approaches to interim use of public spaces“. The current crisis has made this topic more relevant than ever: How can we, in the face of these radically changed circumstances and hectic response mechanisms, rethink „space“? The interpretation of „space“ can range from urban planning or interpersonal communication in times of crisis, to the display of social differences.
It has become apparent that the usage of urban spaces is not an irrefutable constant. The theoretical concept of a city is as flexible and fluid as its reality. In times where an entire society has to rethink living concepts, this is a great opportunity. We look forward to your submissions!
We are inviting
designers / architects / artists / city planners / community strategists / creative professionals / creators / critical thinkers / sociologists / urban enthusiasts
to submit ideas, concepts and projects that deal with social design and the theme "Vacant lots / fallow land / empty sites: new approaches to interim use in public spaces" for the Stadtarbeit format at VIENNA DESIGN WEEK.
Applications close on 10th of May 2020!
What is Stadtarbeit?
The Stadtarbeit format has been an essential part of the programme for many years and is carried out with the support of Erste Bank´s ExtraVALUE Sponsoring Programme and in collaboration with Caritas Vienna. The format is dedicated to social design and promotes the lively exchange and growing dialogue around this subject.
What are we offering?
- Three winning projects will be selected by the jury and awarded the Erste Bank ExtraVALUE Design Award 2020. A production budget of €4,000 (incl. VAT) for the implementation of these winning projects during the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK is provided.
- Support from VIENNA DESIGN WEEK with the organization and implementation of the project.
- Accomodation during the festival in partner hotels of VIENNA DESIGN WEEK (subject to availability, team size and length of stay).
- The winning projects are part of the VIENNA DESIGN WEEK programme and will be presented to the audience.
We would like to point out our long-standing cooperation with Caritas and call upon applicants to work together with this truly experienced and well-connected institution in the field of social work during the festival. Collaboration projects with Caritas are particularly welcome.
How to apply
- Fill out the contact form
- Write a project proposal
- Send everything to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 10th of May 2020!